Friday, May 22, 2015

Insects Sensory Bin

I have already done an insects sensory bin before but it was in winter when I did not really have an opportunity to put real leaves in the bin.


I found the idea to use moss and stones in the bin here. I added different kinds of leaves, a tree branch, pine cones, acorn, chestnuts, flowers and black beans instead of soil. I made a spider web out of thin yarn.  


I don’t remember the last time when we spent so much time playing with the sensory bin. It might be because my daughter saw many of the insects for the first time, and she seemed really interested.


You can do a lot of games with insects introducing each of them while playing. First, a fly got stuck in a spider web and other insects saved it. Then we ripped leaves into small pieces so that it was easier for the caterpillar to eat them. A bee collected nectar and we smelled the flowers. Then a cricket jumped up really high (it was the funniest part). Also, ants have built a house for all insects using rocks as walls and leaves as a roof. We had a really great time playing with this sensory bin.


I introduced a lot of new insects to my daughter. I will make a few other sensory bins with insects to study them closer. I will focus on their habitats: insects in soil (ants, inchworms, larva, centipedes), insects on flowers (butterflies, bees, ladybugs), insects in water (dragonflies, mosquitoes) and insect in leaves (caterpillars, crickets, praying mantis).


Continue this theme by reading “The Very Hungry Caterpillar” by Eric Carle and "Five Little Ladybugs" by Melanie Gerth.










No comments:

Post a Comment